Monday, December 3, 2012

Family Thanksgiving

          Okay, this blog is from November, the week of the 18th till the 25th. This is really late, but more internet problems have delayed the update of this blog. On Sunday, the 18th, we went out to the country to eat dinner. We brought our food which was pork and potatoes and ate it in the field. There was fields of potatoes and beans. We also saw lots of animals such as cows, pigs, donkeys, horses, sheep, goats, and of course dogs. The food was really good, and I enjoyed the fresh air. Unfortunately, I ended up not going to school in Monday because of my stomach, but fortunately that sick feeling ended for Tuesday and I went to school the rest of the week. I was a little bummed that we did not get the grades back for our second examination for placement in the coming year.
          Another unfortunate aspect of missing school is that you have to make up the work during the week by borrowing notebooks from classmates to get the notes that you missed. Also, because I missed two Mondays now, I was stuck trying to make up the lost class time to prepare for exams, in particular, Algebra. I did not understand the Complex numbers part and I ended up not taking that test or the one for imaginary numbers. I now have to make those both up.
          On Thursday the 22nd, there was a holiday in the US called Thanksgiving, I really enjoy this holiday and the family interaction that comes with it. It was not difficult to think of things I was thankful for because of the situation I was in, seeing that I am in Peru, with a family that loves me. I was a bit saddened that I was not going to join my family int he US to celebrate this holiday. I guess my peruvian family realized that I was missing out on something I loved and decided to surprise me. I walked down stairs after talking with my family on Skype and on the table of a Thanksgiving meal. There was potatoes and turkey for the main meal and then for dessert there was massamorra morada, arroz con leche, jello, upside down pineapple cake, and chocolate, vanilla marble cake. All of this was homemade and none of it was store bought desserts. I really think my mafily here is the most caring family ever.
          During the school year, we had missed a Friday, and we had to make it up. This make up day was for some reason a Saturday. The nice thing is that I like Fridays because I have gym, so I got to have gym two days in a row. Saturday, we did not have to wear our uniforms, we could come in street clothing. I guess it was not mandetory because about half of our class was missing and most of the promotion was, also. Also, for the second half of the day there was a singing competition in English. Claudi and I were asked to be judges for this competition seeing that we knew English. The competition was more or less really boring because we sat in the hot sun and listened to like 25 groups or indiviuals sing 3 to 5 minute songs. This lasted for 3 hours. It was kind of fun to hear all the Peruvians attempt to sing in Spanish. There was only one 13 year old girl who's accent was not attrocious. Anyway, I enjoyed being able to give my honest opinion on the kids English via points on a score card.
          On Sunday, which was my only day off to sleep in, I had a soccer game, so I had to get up at 7:30 for a game that was at 9, I did enjoy playing, but getting up early every day of the week is not very appetising to me. Anyway, we lost again, but my team is really new, so time will show how we work together.
          A couple things that I find strange in Peru: First, kids in my school suck on cough drops as candy, I do not like the idea, but I guess they never get the cough. Another thing is that the sports in Peru are not very broad. Kids know how to play volleyball, basketball, and soccer. It is not like in the states where kids grw up playing baseball, basketball, soccer, tennis, track, and the multiple other opcions. Anyway, I guess soccer is good enough for me all though if I knew kids that played tennis, I would be a bit happier.

1 comment:

  1. Aww! Your family sounds so sweet! They really made an entire Thanksgiving dinner for you?

    ReplyDelete