Sunday, October 7, 2012

1 month update

          At this time 1 month ago, I was having an orientation in Miami before leaving for Lima. After 1 month, things start to get settled in, school is no longer really weird, even though it is so different. My family is starting to stop acting like I am a new person and that I am part of the family so I am able to do more stuff that one of their kids would be able to do. School is going well, even though there are a few classes that I do not like and a few that I love, but I guess I am going to have to get through it until December, because we have a break from January to February.
          I think that right now, unless anything changes, Geography is my worst favorite class. The teacher is really old, and I can't understand him or his handwriting. Also, though his actions I am getting that he doesn't want to geve extra help to a foreign student, so it is all on me until I can start understanding the class better. Also, there is a lot of memorizing in this school, especially in Geography. We have to memorize all the countries of Asia, their capitals, and their bordering countries and oceans. Talk about difficult. Also, the countries names and stuff are different here. For example, the capital of Russia is Moscú, instead of Moscow, and the country of Turkey is Turquía. So that is a lot to do by next Thursday.
          On Saturday morning, I was invited to help teach an English Class for third graders in the primary section of my school. At around 8:30 we left for the school, and when I got to the class there were about 10 kids sitting in the room. I introduced myself, and then got two papers. One was a wordsearch for items of clothing, and the other was for sports. I just had to write all the words on the board, and then pronounce them fr the kids so they could repeat it. For the sports I even drew pictures of the fields and courts that are used for the sport. It was actually really easy and fun, because all the kids were really interested in what I was doing. I felt really appreciated and was even asked to come back the next Saturday.
          Well besides school, my life is going pretty well. I am making lots of friends, and I am really enjoying my life here. On Tuesday, Claudi got sick with a stomach infection and left school early. The doctor said that we will be out until Tuesday. If you don't remember who Claudi is, he is a German kid in my school wth AFS. So besides feeling bad for him, we could not go to the mall and see a movie as planned this weekend, so we invited Laura, another Geman kid here in Huancayo. Unfortunately, due to misscomunication, we ended up not being able to schedule a time, and Lucía and I went to the mall alone. We saw this movie called The Watch, which I forget the neme in Spanish, but it was funny. Ben Stiller, Jonah Hill, Vince Vaughn, and Richard Ayoade stared in the film about a Neighborhood watch. Lucía and I were laughing the whole time.
          After the movie we bought ice cream from this really nice ice cream place in the mall. I got Fresca chip, and Choco maní, which was strawberry chip and chocolate peanut ice cream. It was really good, I am going to try and taste all the flavors, instead of just sticking with one and coninually getting that kind. After we ate our ice cream, we realized that we had forgotten to eat dinner, and so we bought pizza from pizza hut to eat, It was definitely not better than the kind in the US. It had way less chease, and the dough was really sweet. After we finished, we had to walk 8 blocks to where my dad and mom were waiting to pick us up, so I fell asleep in the car and at home, I died in my bed after a really long day.
          I woke up on Sunday really late, and after eating breakfast, took another really cold shower, the water just doesn't get hot. Because of a holiday tomorow, we do not have school, so I am excited to get some rest. School really gets you tired with the language and the material.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing. I really enjoy reading about your life in Peru!

    ReplyDelete