Tuesday, January 29, 2013

New Years

          Okay, first of all, yes, this blog is almost a month late, but since I have not had internet in my house since the 1st, I have a reason to back up my tardiness. I have also not gotten to talk with my parents or friends until today, and I was a bit upset about missing out on my blogs for January, but I am going to try to basically remember everything I did this past month and write it in a few blogs.
          On Sunday, the 30th, Lucía and I went out to pick up the ingredients to bake cookies and guess what? They put a STARBUCKS in the mall. I was so psyched that I ended up buying a drink for Lucía and I because she had never had a Frappuccino.
          On Monday the 31st, we basically finished decorating the house for New Years. We just stayed in the house and hung out until around 2 when we murdered the family chicken to prepare for New Years. We then prepared that chicken, and a turkey and pig that we had bought to take to a place where they would cook them. Unfortunately the place that could roast the turkey and chicken could not roast the pig because of the grease and stuff. Then we went back to the house and I put on my lucky yellow underwear which is a tradition for New Years and my skinny jeans which were my gift for New Years and then we waited until around 10 when we went out to get the meat that had finished roasting. At around 11, the family of Papá’s brother arrived and we began to dance with the new stereo system that my dad had bought. At 11:30 we began to plate the grapes which are a tradition in Peru. When the clock tolls midnight, everyone eats 12 grapes as fast as they can. Unfortunately these grapes have seeds in them making them hard to eat fast unless you want to just chew the seeds and all. Then the family of one of Mamá’s brothers arrived and we continued dancing and handing out yellow eyeglasses that say 2013 and whistles and gadgets to make noise. We also went outside to pay with fireworks and stuff and everyone got wine (my favorite) to drink. Also at around 12 midnight, everyone drinks champagne to celebrate. I do not exactly like Champagne too much, but it is fine. I still think red wine is my favorite. At 11:50 we all got into a circle and started talking about what we want to do for the new year and then with 10 seconds left we all started counting down and then when 12 rang we all cheered and started eating grapes which is not that easy when you are also giving out hugs and have a glass of champagne in your hand, but it was fun. After 12:00 we all just laughed and talked and we served the pig, filling, pineapple sauce, and the usual potatoes. At 2 the other kids and I began to watch Spider Man and then they left at around 3. I continued watching the movie until around 4 when I fell asleep.
          The rest of the week I had more late nights with watching movies and such. It is not because I want to go to sleep late it is because I am bored and do not know what to do. I will definitely say that I do enjoy the school schedule more, but I do not enjoy school more. 

          On Saturday we went out to drive around Huancayo. We ended up driving completely around Huancayo in a hail storm. The weather was not too pretty, but it was enjoyable nonetheless. Sunday, again we went out around town and then we planned to go to the movies the next day, but more rain prevented that. I ended up just studying my Precalc book that I have to learn before I return.
          Monday, the 7th, my sister Angela went out to check out the country club to see if there are groups that I can play with. It turns out that there are, but I wanted to see how good they were before I paid money to play, so on Tuesday I went to the club with Lucía and found out that the group was formed by beginners, and I did not really want to play tennis with kids that were just starting to learn to play. The coach actually said I could come back in the afternoon to play with him and he would see my skill level and figure something out. I was so pumped that I would get to play tennis down here, but unfortunately my skill level might not have been so great as I have not played in like 6 months since school the last year.

No comments:

Post a Comment