Tuesday, January 29, 2013

tennis, tennis, and more TENNIS!!!!

          Starting on the 8th of January, I joined the tennis club to play tennis. I have got to say, playing tennis really picked up my spirit after the holidays without my US family.  I ended up joining every day of the work week which is minus the weekend for an hour every day. During the tennis time, I did not do much other stuff with it also being the summer break. I have been studying Precalc and have been looking for a calculator, but finding a Texas Instruments Calculator in Peru is more difficult than you think and I had not look.
          On the 10th and 11th I went to play tennis like usual and ended up putting a new grip and new strings on my racket. I do not know if any of you know, but a can of three tennis balls is like 7 dollars here, which I think is pretty expensive, but importations can be. On Saturday, the 12th and that weekend, we went out to visit more of Huancayo, which is enjoyable, but can get a little annoying stuffed in the back of the car with Lucia, Angela, and most of all, Kristhel who has this idea that I love to sit in the car hugging her the whole time, and by the whole time, I mean literally the whole time.
          The next week, I had more tennis and I really think I am improving fast. There are two other kids in my group, and the both of them do not really know how to play tennis very well, so the class is a bit boring when I am playing with them, but when I play against them, it is fun. I also enjoy playing one on one iwht the coach is really great, and I improve a lot faster when I am plying with or against those who are much better than me because it provides me with a challenge. On the 16th, I stayed after to play this game that is sort of like tennis and racquet ball combined. You play on a wall and hit a really flat racquet ball against it using a wooden paddle that is smaller than the racquet used for racquet ball. I had never played before, but within five minutes of learning the rules and practicing, I was better than most of the kids I was playing with. I defintiely can say that I am a fast learner. After tennis on the 16th, Lucia and I went to get cake. We ate a cake called tres leches which is really good. It is basically a white cake that they poor milk over and then ice with whipped cream icing. It comes in chocolate, strawberry, mocha, and vainilla, but I have only tried it in vainilla. I really do enjoy it.
          That weekend, the 19th and 20th, we started out by going to the new arcade games in hope of playing dance dance revolution, but it was not working that day, so we ended up going shopping for the weekly food, and then we played air hockey and basketball. I set a new record on both of the basketball games. I am definitely pretty good at that, or everyone else who has played it is not. Then we went out and Papá treated us all to Pollo a la Brasa, which is great every time I try it, but I enjoy trying it in different places. The main difference is the french fries, that are really different in the each restaurant. I like the crunchy ones, but sometimes the restaurants serve you really big and mushy french fries which I do not like.
          Monday and Tuesday I continued playing tennis until Wednesday which I will tell you about in my next blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment