Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Adjusting to the Culture

          It is now Wednesday night. I have been here for four days. There are difficult times, but I know I am not alone. Others are in the same situation I am. Recently, I have gone to the supermarket, gone to my host sister's school, and drove around town to visit all the parks. The parks are really nice, but you have to be careful with your camera, because theft is not uncommon. I am learning to adjust to the differences here, primarily the climate. It is really cold in the morning and at night, but during the day it is not too cold. The sun actually comes out a bit. Another big difference is the food. There are rice and potatoes for every meal. There are a couple thousand varieties of potatoes here in Peru, so they have plenty to spare and rice is very cheap. My host mother uses a lot of onions and different spices in the food (I really like that).
          We went to visit my school and buy my uniform today. Apparently, a kid from Germany with AFS, Claudios, is in the same school as me, so we got our uniforms together. He is really nice. He did not know much spanish at all before he came here, but he is catching on quickly. I have learned that traffic rules are not enforced very strongly here. People just get from place to place and don't really bother with the rules too much. Also, taxis are very common here, and you can get from place to place very easily and for not many soles (the money here). I can't wait to see what I am going to get to do tomorow, but the altitude makes you a bit tired so sleep is a necesity for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment