Wednesday, September 12, 2012

First Impresions of Huancayo

          The altitude difference was pretty extreme. Huancayo is 11,000 feet above sea level, so my ears popped the whole ride, but we finally got to Huancayo. I was the first off the bus, and right away, my emotions started jumping. Just inside the station, all five families were waiting there with big signs with each of our names on them. Imediately I spotted my host sister near the back holding a big sign. I walked over and did the customary kiss on the cheek with all the girls in my family, and hugged my host father who put a scarf around my neck and a hat on my head right away. Once we picked up my suitcase, we got in the car and drove through the town to their house. On the way, we stopped at a nearby park and walked through it. The air was cold, but the scarf and knit hat really helped. When we arrived at my host family's house I did not think much of it. I was just really tired. I sat down in front of the TV trying to think of a way to tell my family that I am tired and want to go to bed without them thinking that I am aviding them. I finally decided to just to tell them I was tired, and that worked. they took me up to my room and I slept like a bear. My family is bigger than some of the others. I have a host father and mother, and two host sisters and one host brother who does not live in the house. Also, the oldest daughter has a kid who lives in the same house. I had a lot of thoughts running through my head that night. I was trying to figure out if I was going to like it in Huancayo or if I was going to make friends or if I would fail school, but eventually I decided that I need to sleep and that tomorow would be a better day.

No comments:

Post a Comment