Thursday, September 13, 2012

Transportation

          Transportation is very different here. Taxis are quite common, but instead of a money counter that counts up as you go, they are all one price as long as you are not going a very long way (about $1.35). This is nice for going middle distances, but if you are not traveling far, walking is a better deal. I have gone in a couple taxis already, but today I used a combis. There are plenty in my area. They are like little buses that can hold about 10 people without getting too crouded. The ones that I have used are like 90 centimos, which is approximately 35 cents in the US. They are like buses in the way that they travel. They do not go anywhere you ask. They keep circling around and pick up people on the way and drop of others. They all have set routes. Also, there is this one person who has their head out the window the whole time screaming words I can not understand (they talk very fast). This gets annoying when you don't want to ride in one, but they drive by and scream at you. I am guessing they are saying "Do you need a ride? We have a ride for you! We go to this place and this place." Anyway, they are really anoying.
          There are also a lot of cars here (too many I think). They drive without really caring about the rules too much. I am glad that AFS has a no driving rule, because that would be really scary. The cars just swerve in and out with the sole purpose of getting to their destination. There are maybe 3 cars side by side on a one lane road. I am surprised I have not seen many accidents yet. About the combis, they just really want to get people in their vans. They will swerve in and out of traffic to be on the curb side of the road so that the annoying person ( I will call they the screamer) can get people to hear them and see them.
          I start school on Monday, so I have to pick up some notebooks and folders. I have my uniform and everything else, but hopefully I can increase my level of Spanish ten fold for school. I heard that teachers talk really fast (fingers crossed that my teachers do not)!

1 comment:

  1. Great blogging Cameron! You are sharing some great insights and interesting experiences. Hope to see your pictures soon. Maybe the pictures is the reason for your blog being reviewed?

    ReplyDelete