Sunday, September 30, 2012

Parties and more parties

          Yesterday, we had this big event planned where we would make a big meal. Two German exchange students here, Claudi and Laura, came over and brought ingredients to make a German meal. My sister, Claudi's sister, and Laura's sister planned to make a Peruvian meal, and I was going to make the dessert. At 11:30, Claudi, Laura, and their sisters came over to our house. Immediately we all started making our food. Cladui and Laura had vegetables, potatoes and meat to make their version of Shishkabobs, and Lucía and the other girls were going to make Papas de Huacallina (I think that is how you spell it). It is basically cooked potatoes that you cool down and cover with a spicy chease sauce and a hard-boiled egg. Everyone was cutting up their vegetables and cooking their food. The kitchen was really small, but it was fun.
          I got out my ingredients to make the dessert. I was going to make M&M cookies. I had everything I neede except that the brown sugar was more like sugar in the raw, because we could not find any like the kind we use in the US. The most difficult part was measuring the ingredients with a tea cup band estimating a cup or a cup and a quater. My family did not have any measuring cups. Once it was all mixed up, it looked like the cookie batter that I have made before and it even tasted good, but baking was a whole different story. After converting the oven temperature to celsius, and I had to light the oven with a spark, and then let it heat up. The recipe said that it took about 8-10 minutes to bake, but because of the altitude and the stove being on at the same time it took more like 25 minutes for each batch. But the cookies turned out great. They were flatter than usual, probably because of the brown sugar issue, or the fact that I used self rising flour, but they tasted great.
          Once everyone had the food ready, we sat down to eat. There were 9 of us at a 5 person table, so it was tight, but it was fun to talk with all of the friendly people. The Peruvian dish was really good. It was spicy, but it was nice. Next we had mashed potatoes, carrots and brocolli, and the shishkabobs, that had beef, onions, and peppers. It was really good, but it was a lot of food. Along with all the food we had Chi chi morada, the purple corn drink that I like. I think that that meal was the best I have had. After the meal, we all had shots of wine. Even my 4 year old niece drank some, but she did not like it very much.
          After the meal, we all went into the living room and turned on the sterio. We all danced for about 2 hours and ate cookies and drank Inca-Cola. Afterwards, we played cards (yeah for spoons and go fish) and this game called the blind rooster. Basically one person puts on a blind fold and tries to tag somebody. At around 6:30 we all piled into my dad's 5 passenger car to go to Anel's house. She is the sister of Claudi. We had 8 people in a 5 passenger car. It was really tight.
          At Anel's house, there was even more food. It had been Anel's birthday on Wednesday, so we were all celebrating. Claudi loves strawberries so there wer tons of strawberries there, which is great because I like them too. After eating a little, we turned on the stereo and danced around. There is this really popular song called Gangnam Style. This Korean rapper sings and has this really cool way of dancing. It is really fun. After a while, we all played this game called the cat and the rat. Everyone sits in a circle and there are two ties that are given to two people across from eachother. For the tie with the cat on it, you have to put it over your neck and tie one knot, clap your hands twice and then untied the knot and pass it to the person next to you. For the other tie, you have to tie two knots and clap once, and then pass it. The goal is to not be the person to end up with both ties. You have to do this as fast as possible. There were a lot of people there and at the end we even had a giant chocolate cake. It was the best chocolate I have had from Peru, but it still was very different. The chocolate is not as rich and the cake is harder. They also have this tradition where they smash the head of the birthday person into the cake. It was really funny. Lucía and I left at around 10:00 to go home, because we were really tired.
          At home, I fell straight asleep, after a long and very entertaining day. I only woke up this morning at like 9:00, which is really late here. I think that is the most food I have had in one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment