Monday, September 17, 2012

My first day of school

          Today was my first day of school. I was really excited this morning. For school, not the uniform. Anyway, the uniform is alright, but I do not really like the pants. I got up at six because we had to leave at like 6:50 to 7:00. I had to get to school early for photos they said. I was ready by 6:30 and had already eaten brakfast, but Kristhel did not want to get up, and she was going with, so her mom finally got her up at 7:00, and after getting ready we only left at 7:11. I was really nervous that we going to be too late, but the others did not seem to notice. We had to walk to find a taxi, and once we got to the school, it was 7:25. Surprisingly, Claudios was still sitting in the lobby, so I was relieved that we were not late. We actually sat their for a while until the bell wrang for the start of school and never got a photo for the school.
          When the bell wrang, all the kids were standing in formation in the school yard. All of them with their uniforms on, so I did not feel so strange looking, even though every single one of the kids had brown hair and darker skin. The main guy in charge walked Claudios and I up and introduced through a microphone. All the kids were whispering to eachother and when he said what room we would be in, the girls who I am guessing were in those rooms all started giggling and laughing with eachother. Claudios and I just stood their watching and smiling, until he asked us to say something. I went up to the mike and told them that my name said "hola, buenos dios, me llamo Cameron, y estoy de los Estados Unidos". All the kids were talking amongst themselves during our introductions. It was really quite interesting. I wanted to know what they were thinking and saying.
          After that we joined our classes in formation to recite the nacional anthem, the nacional song of Peru, and the school's anthem. This was really boring, because it was really long and I did not know any of it. After the anthems, the man in charge dismissed us by class and we went to our rooms. The first teacher finally came in and showed me where to sit. Each day we have only four classes and a break to by lunch and talk with our friends in the middle. Our first class was Civics, which was kind of simple because alot of the words were cognates. Still I had to look up a lot and ask people to explain things. In between classes, we had like two minutes, and everyone would swarm around me and ask me questions like where I was from how to say this in English, and about my school in the US. I felt really important, but I also could not understand 10 people talking at once, so I was a little embaressed I would not answer all of their questions, but I just kept smiling and laughing.
          Our next class was Algebra. Today's topic was Geometric Progressions, which was basically just a list of numbers with a pattern. Still we had to use these theories, and I have to say understanding his voice was difficult, so I was relying on the writing on the board, but he wrote in sloppy cursive and that I could not read, but the kids around me were really nice and let me copy their notes.
          After Algebra, we had a break to walk around and go outside and by something to eat in the school yard. Claudios, Lucía, and I walked around and watched kids play voleibol. I don't feel short here, except compared to Claudios. Besides him, I am one of the tallest kids, so I feel pretty powerful. The break was over quickly, and we went back inside for my next class which was Religion/logic/Philosophy. This class was a mixture of a lot of things. We talked about logic, and Aristotel, and then we read a section of Luke and answered questions. This class was pretty boring, but not as boring as the next class, Literature.
           Literature is a lot of notes. Today we did a review, and obviously I was not here to learn the stuff in the first plcae, so I was stuck copying the whole period. Also, I bet the two girls I worked with don't like me anymore, because I had them repeat themselves about a dozen times. Finally the end of school bell wrang at 2:30, and everyone rushed outside to leave. We went home in another taxi, and got home late for lunch, but Kristhel was really excited to see me.
          After a day of focusing your brain a hundred percent, your head really hurts. It was a relief to get home and nap after lunch. I felt my spanish definitely improved, and I am attempting to teach my sister some English. She is not bad at it, but she does not practice unless she is in class.I hope tomorow's classes are better than today's, but I am excited either way.

No comments:

Post a Comment