Wednesday, September 12, 2012

My first morning in Huancayo

          After a rough night, I was anxious to see what a new day would bring. A woke up late sunday morning after sleeping in a bit and went down stairs. My house is three stories with a roof to go on when we need to dry our clothes. Each floor is small with like two rooms on each, so it is not difficult to get from one room to another if you like stairs. Once downstairs my host mom insisted that I sit down. She always says "sientate". She is very insistent.  I sat down and she asked me what type of juice I want. I told her I would like orange juice. So she walked outside and grabbed three oranges from a bag and handmade me orange juice, right in front of me (talk about fresh). It was probably the best I have ever had. I finished breakfast, which was just a piece of bread with jelly and butter and tea.
          After breakfast, my host father told me that every sunday morning they go to the market and asked if I would like to come. Basically because I did not know what I would do if I did not go, I decided it would be best to join them on their weekly routine. We went to three different markets. Each of them had a variety of stuff, but each had the best of a few items. The first had the best fruit, the second had the best vegetables, and the third had the best spices. The markets were big, and loud, and some of them smelled odd at different parts. Once we finished shopping, we drove home. I have got to say that the saddest part of my trip is that there are stray dogs everywhere. On every street corner and crosswalk. I really wish I could help them, but I can not do anything for a hundred dogs.
          My spanish is catching on quickly, and luckily I have a week until I go to school. My family is very forgiving when it comes to how slow I speak at times. It is difficult when I know what they said, and I know what I want to say, but I just can't. It is really upsetting. Anyway I have a year to learn!! (Thumbs up for being optimistic)

No comments:

Post a Comment